“Every transaction is like a puzzle. My job is to find the pieces, see how they fit together, and at the closing make sure the pieces all connect to meet my client’s goals.”
Joe specializes in complicated transactions, and for that reason he is known as one of Madison’s top real estate and business attorneys. He is AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, which is a top rating awarded by Joe’s peers. Joe is consistently listed as a top real estate and corporate law attorney in The Best Lawyers in America® and Wisconsin Super Lawyers. Joe maintains a strong reputation as being detail- and solution-oriented. He is a trusted counselor who listens to his clients’ concerns and cares about their long-term success.
Joe grew up in Baraboo, Wisconsin. He attended Cornell Law School after graduating from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in political science. After graduating from law school, Joe served in the U.S. Army as a Captain in the U.S. Judge Advocate General Corps (JAG). Joe’s career in Madison began when he joined the firm as an associate in 1994.
- Guided the real estate aspects of the sale of a national construction contractor’s aggregate division, a transaction involving 450 quarry properties located throughout the state.
- Handled the land acquisition and construction of the corporate headquarters for a large Wisconsin real estate brokerage firm.
- Advised a long-time firm client with locations in multiple states in the restructuring, refinancing and development of its real estate holdings throughout the Midwest.
- Maximized client’s value in negotiating the sale of an appreciated office building housing the client’s Milwaukee operations and preserving that value by structuring a §1031 tax deferred reverse improvement exchange.
- Coordinated various aspects of the development of commercial and investment real estate such as securing government approvals, handling environmental contamination issues, negotiating tax increment financing, and structuring construction and permanent financing.
- Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges
- Construction Financing
- Construction Contracts
- Eminent Domain
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Construction, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses, Real Estate, and Corporate Law (2008-2017)
- Selected as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer in Real Estate Law (2007, 2009-2016)
- Named a “Top Lawyer” by Madison Magazine in Real Estate Law
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Business Organizations & Estate Planning, Liquid Waste Carriers Association Annual Meeting, 2011
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1990
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, B.A. with honors, 1987; Phi Beta Kappa
- Wisconsin, 1994
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1994
- Secretary and Board Member, Kidlinks World, Inc.
- Member, Downtown Madison, Inc.
- Member, Madison Club
- Member, Cornell Club of Madison
- Vestry Member, Grace Episcopal Church