“Litigation and conflict resolution is a fact of business life. My job is to help clients resolve those problems effectively and efficiently, so they can focus their attention on their lives and businesses.”
John concentrates his practice on representing clients in litigation and dispute resolution. He has represented clients in contract disputes, construction litigation, business torts, banking matters, real estate litigation, and insurance defense. John has represented clients in jury trials, arbitrations, numerous dispositive motion proceedings, and before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals and the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
John relies on his extensive litigation background to assist clients with corporate, business, and real estate matters, helping clients take proactive steps to minimize their potential liability and avoid the need for future litigation. John is experienced in all aspects of business law, including business formation, contract drafting and negotiation, buying and selling businesses and business assets, and commercial leasing and development.
- Successfully represented general contractor in a dispute related to $100 million hotel construction and redevelopment project in a six-week arbitration hearing conducted before a three-member panel and administered by the American Arbitration Association.
- Prevailed before the Wisconsin Supreme Court on behalf of a financial institution in an insurance coverage dispute related to a $1.3 million fire loss.
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action lawsuit against a retailer in which ten causes of action were asserted based on alleged sales tax overcharges.
- Retained by health care provider after entry of a $1.15 million jury verdict and had the verdict vacated on appeal and the case remanded for a new trial.
- Defended business client in Milwaukee County against breach of warranty claims to jury verdict of no liability.
- Construction Law
- Lender Representation
- Corporate/Business Law
- Contract Drafting, Negotiation, and Review
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- President-Elect, Dane County Bar Association (2018-2019)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial and Construction Litigation (2017-2019)
- Selected as a “Rising Star” by Wisconsin Super Lawyers in Business Litigation, Business/Corporate, Construction Litigation (2007-2012, 2015-2017)
- Named a 2011 “Up and Coming Lawyer” by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Rated “Superb” “10.0/10” – by Avvo™
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Wisconsin Civil Procedure Before Trial, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE (Co-Author of Jurisdiction Chapter), June 2015-2017
- The Problem of Lender Compliance with Tenant-Notice Requirements, Wisconsin Lawyer, August 2009
- Demystifying Wisconsin’s Economic Loss Doctrine, Wisconsin Law Review, 2005 Wis. L. Rev. 225 (2005) (cited by both state and federal appellate courts, including the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as numerous legal treatises)
Reported Cases and Notable Representations
- Fontana Builders, Inc. et al. v. Assurance Company of America, 2016 WI 52, 369 Wis.2d 495 882 N.W.2d 398
- Gunderson, Inc. v. Aspirus Wausau Hosp., Inc., No. 2010AP1178, 2011 WL 309589 (Wis. Ct. App. Feb. 11, 2011) (unpublished)
- Kleemann v. Emerson, No. 2010AP762, 2010 WL 4652962 (Wis. Ct. App. Nov. 18, 2010) (unpublished)
- Froedtert Mem’l Lutheran Hosp., Inc. v. National States Ins. Co., 2008 WI App 58, 310 Wis. 2d 476, 750 N.W.2d 926
- Froedtert Mem’l Lutheran Hosp., Inc. v. National States Ins. Co., 2009 WI 33, 317 Wis. 2d 54, 765 N.W.2d 251
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2005; Order of the Coif
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, B.S., Finance, with distinction, 2002
- Wisconsin, 2005
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2005
- Dane County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- The James E. Doyle American Inn of Court
- Friends of MSCR (Madison School & Community Recreation) Board Member
- Veterans Law Center Volunteer
Hobbies and Interests
- Enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife, two children, and family dog
- Avid Badger sports fan