“My job is to see the future and help my clients prepare now and even shape it. Doing that job well requires experience, expertise, and common sense.”
Norm is a member of the firm and is a business attorney. Norm focuses his practice on lender representation through all phases of lending, from loan origination and renewals, to workouts and forbearance, litigation including foreclosures and bankruptcy proceedings, and assisting with liquidation of bank-owned assets. His extensive experience working closely with his clients throughout the life cycle of the lending relationship has provided him with insight into the practical issues faced by lenders. When crafting real-world and creative solutions for originating loans, fashioning workouts, and selling bank-owned property, Norm’s clients rely on his deep understanding, not just of lending, but of other areas of the law such as real estate, personal property, succession planning, and business organizations.
In addition to representing lenders, Norm has a vibrant business transactional and litigation practice. Norm also assists the firm’s clients with their intellectual property needs.
Norm’s expertise has been recognized repeatedly by his peers and in professional publications. He is a Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ peer rated attorney, the highest rating available. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America®, selected as a “Rising Star” by Wisconsin Super Lawyers, and a “Top Lawyer” according to Madison Magazine.
- Helped clients originate and renew over $88 million in commercial and construction loans throughout Wisconsin in the last 12 months.
- Helped clients put under contract and liquidate bank-owned real property throughout Wisconsin worth more than $20 million in the last 12 months.
- Prepared and executed a long-term workout strategy of large lending relationship involving dozens of loans and mortgagors, dozens of properties located throughout Wisconsin, multiple foreclosures, multiple short sales, multiple bankruptcies, complex title issues, environmental issues, and competing creditors with complicated priority claims requiring litigation to successfully resolve in client’s favor.
- Engineered successful workout of large commercial real-estate-backed loans guaranteed by over a dozen individual and entity investors who were dramatically at odds with each other. Workout included borrower liquidation of property on favorable terms, significant principal reduction payments, and agreement by most of the guarantors to make substantial payments on guarantees.
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Litigation-Real Estate and Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law (2013-2020)
- Named The Best Lawyers in America® Madison Litigation-Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year (2020)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Named a Wisconsin Rising Star in Banking, Creditor Debtor Rights, Business Litigation (2006-2009)
- Named a “Top Lawyer” by Madison Magazine
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1999
- Northern Illinois University, B.A., 1994
- Wisconsin, 1999
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2000
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2006
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2006