Charity A. McCarthy
“What I enjoy most about my practice are the long term relationships that I develop with my clients. I stand by my clients and help guide and protect them through important life events, such as creating an estate plan at the different stages in their life, purchasing or selling a business and settling the affairs of a loved one.”
Charity represents individuals and business owners with simple to complex estate planning and business succession planning matters. She seeks to make the transfer of wealth and businesses as efficient as possible from both an administration and tax standpoint. Charity understands the importance of family and works to preserve family relationships as part of any planning. Charity also helps with the probate of estates and administration of trusts. Charity guides her clients through these legal processes with understanding and compassion, with the goal of making the process as simple as possible for them. For the complex legal issues that often arise in her work, Charity takes a very practical approach and attempts to find a solution that both meets her clients’ needs and minimizes costs.
Charity also assists business owners with business formation and operation matters and the purchase and sale of businesses.
Charity was born on a farm in Lena, Wisconsin and is the 9th of 11 children. Prior to her law career, Charity was an enlisted member in the Air Force, where she was a mechanic during the day and at night she worked to complete her undergraduate degree.
Charity’s greatest joy is spending time with her family and friends. Charity lives in Mount Horeb with her husband and 4 children.
- Assisted with the drafting and negotiating of a prenuptial agreement for a business owner who wanted to retain his business and certain other premarital assets in the event of a divorce.
- Assisted beneficiaries with the creation of a family limited liability company as the vehicle to co-own valuable inherited real estate.
- Developed an estate plan to maintain real estate in the family for multiple generations through the use of trusts and rights of first refusals.
- Assisted business owners with transferring insurance policies from their business to trusts to create a more tax efficient buy-sell structure.
- Secured the early termination of a multi-million dollar trust that was no longer useful in light of changed circumstances.
- Transferred assets from one trust to another trust to achieve greater creditor protection and preserve eligibility for public benefits.
- Estate Planning
- Probate and Trust Administration
- Business Organization and Succession Planning
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- Selected as a “Rising Star” on the Wisconsin Super Lawyer list by Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine in Estate Planning and Probate (2013-2014)
- Selected by In Business magazine as one of its “40 Under 40” (2011)
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2003
- Chapman University, B.A., cum laude, 1999
Community Involvement and Memberships
- Dane County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Madison Estate Council
- SW Dane Business Professionals Group
- Forum of Women Estate Counselors
- Attic Angel Planned and Major Gifts Committee (Community Advisor)
- Rodney Scheel House Foundation, Ltd (former President and former board member)