Rachel E. Mielke
Legal Assistant: Laura Garling
Rachel’s practice focuses primarily on estate planning, probate, preparing pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, and family law.
Rachel assists individuals and families with creating estate plans that range from simple wills to more complex trusts, with an eye for ensuring that each estate plan she prepares is individually tailored to meet the client’s specific goals and needs. Rachel’s estate planning practice also includes probate and trust administration, where she strives to make navigating the legal process during such a difficult time as easy as possible for her clients.
Rachel is also trained as a family law mediator and has extensive experience representing clients in divorce cases and other family law matters including those that involve custody and placement disputes, support issues, family-owned businesses, commercial and residential real estate holdings, and other complex financial issues.
Rachel’s experience in both estate planning and family law gives her the ideal background for preparing pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements that protect her clients financially while also preserving their relationships.
- Assisted countless clients with young children to create estate plans that fit the needs of their growing families.
- Assisted numerous divorce clients in arranging a buyout of spousal support obligations, thereby allowing those clients to make future employment-related decisions based on their own needs and wants, and not their financial obligations to their former spouse.
- Helped several small business owner-clients obtain favorable resolutions of valuation disputes during divorce, thereby making it affordable for the clients to maintain sole ownership of the business after the divorce.
- Assisted countless divorce clients in negotiating placement schedules that fit the needs of their children without resorting to contentious (and costly) litigation.
- Helped ensure that clients who were the non-income earning spouse in long term marriages received support in an amount that allowed them to continue to live comfortably post-divorce without a significant change in their lifestyle.
- Assisted a client with separating herself financially from her spouse so that they could continue their relationship without fear of her spouse’s behavior impacting her financial stability.
- Negotiated a settlement that allowed a divorce client to keep all of the client’s retirement assets, thereby allowing the client to retire early as the client had originally planned.
- Assisted an estate planning client who owned real estate and a number of other assets in preparing an estate plan that allowed for the avoidance of probate with minimal upfront costs and without the need for an ongoing trust.
- Helped the family of a small business owner who had health issues with the untangling, reorganization and partial liquidation of various related business entities in order to preserve as many assets as possible for the owner to draw on during the remainder of his life.
- Divorce & Family Law
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Estate Planning & Probate
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- Named a Wisconsin Rising Star in family law (2018-2022)
- 2015 Nominee for the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Outstanding Young Lawyer Award
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D. 2008, magna cum laude); Order of the Coif, 2007 Recipient of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Leonard Loeb Award for excellence in the study of Family Law and dedication to Community Service
- University of Wisconsin – Green Bay (B.A. 2005, summa cum laude); 2005 Recipient of Outstanding Student Award
- State of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Community Involvement and Memberships
- Former President of the Board of Directors for the Economic Justice Institute
- Member of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member of the Dane County Bar Association
Hobbies and Interests
- When not in the office, Rachel can be found chasing after her 8-year old and 5-year old daughters, sharing some local wine with her husband and friends, cheering on the Brewers, or curled up in front of the fireplace with her lovable Labrador, her two cats, and a good book.