Carolyn A. Hegge
Legal Assistant: Nancy Blum
Carolyn represents individuals and families with estate planning, from simple wills to multi-million-dollar estates that involve charitable foundations, planned giving, and other tools to enable clients to meet their financial goals while maximizing their philanthropic objectives. Carolyn helps clients plan their charitable giving so that clients can control and direct their charitable gifts and have an immediate impact on their communities while establishing their own personal legacies that will continue for future generations.
Carolyn’s estate planning practice involves probate and trust administration, helping families navigate complex legal processes during some of the most difficult times they face.
Carolyn assists non-profit organizations with all aspects of compliance, including organization, tax-exempt status, real estate tax exemptions, ongoing operations and recordkeeping, taxation matters, and other rules and regulations specific to non-profits.
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Elder Law, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Trusts & Estates (2013-2023)
- Named Best Lawyers® Elder Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison (2022)
- Named a Wisconsin Super Lawyer in Estate Planning & Probate, Nonprofit Organizations, Business/Corporate (2009-2010; 2014-2020)
- Named a “Top Lawyer” by Madison Magazine, Consumer and Elder Law
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1982
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, B.B.A., with distinction, 1978
- Wisconsin, 1982
Community Involvement and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member of National “W” Club (past member of Board of Directors)
- Boy Scouts of America (past Treasurer and committee member of Troop 87, past den leader of Pack 87, participant in multiple service projects)
Member of LPGA Amateurs, Madison Chapter (past member of Board of Directors)
Member of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church (Secretary, member of Pastoral Council and Community Concerns Commission, past President of Education Commission, past Treasurer of Home and School Association)
Assisted various non-profit organizations, including youth basketball program, swim team, and educational non-profits, in setting up and structuring the organization, obtaining tax-exempt status, and providing ongoing support