Norman D. Farnam
Norm is a member of the firm and is a business attorney. Norm focuses his practice on lender representation through all phases of lending, from loan origination and renewals, to workouts and forbearance, litigation including foreclosures and bankruptcy proceedings, and assisting with liquidation of bank-owned assets. His extensive experience working closely with his clients throughout the life cycle of the lending relationship has provided him with insight into the practical issues faced by lenders. When crafting real-world and creative solutions for originating loans, fashioning workouts, and selling bank-owned property, Norm’s clients rely on his deep understanding, not just of lending, but of other areas of the law such as real estate, personal property, succession planning, and business organizations.
In addition to representing lenders, Norm has a successful business transactional and litigation practice. Norm also assists the firm’s clients with their intellectual property needs.
Norm’s expertise has been recognized repeatedly by his peers and in professional publications. He is a Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ peer rated attorney, the highest rating available. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America®, including as a “Lawyer of the Year” for 2020. Norm was selected as a “Rising Star” by Wisconsin Super Lawyers, and a “Top Lawyer” according to Madison Magazine.
- Helped clients originate and renew hundreds of millions of dollars in commercial and construction loans throughout Wisconsin.
- Helped clients put under contract and liquidate bank-owned real property throughout Wisconsin.
- Worked-out and litigated over $500,000,000 in troubled commercial and construction loans on behalf of financial institutions.
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Litigation-Real Estate, Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law, and Real Estate Law (2013-2022)
- Named Best Lawyers® Litigation-Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison (2020, 2022)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Named a Wisconsin Super Lawyer in Banking (2020)
- Named a Wisconsin Rising Star in Banking, Creditor Debtor Rights, Business Litigation (2006-2009)
- Named a “Top Lawyer” by Madison Magazine
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Wisconsin Civil Procedure Before Trial, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE (Co-Author of Jurisdiction Chapter), June 2011-2020
- Commercial and Consumer Transactions in Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE (Author of Personal Property Leases Chapter), December 2019-2020
- Revised UCC Article 9: Compliance Tips for Creditors and Debtors, Wisconsin Lawyer, July/August 2013
- Special Problems in Foreclosing Condominiums, Presented at the State Bar of Wisconsin Real Estate & Business Law Institute, June 14, 2013
- The Problem of Lender Compliance with Tenant-Notice Requirements, Wisconsin Lawyer, August 2009
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1999
- Northern Illinois University, B.A., 1994
- Wisconsin, 1999
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2000
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2006
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2006