“I believe in working hard to help clients achieve their goals and respond to internal and external challenges.”
Peter has focused his practice on business litigation and all types of employment related matters. He regularly advises businesses and individuals in their business affairs, and he has represented clients in state and federal court, as well as before the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development, and the Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission. Peter has assisted clients in matters involving the enforcement of their rights as creditors including in bankruptcy court. Peter also offers guidance and training to businesses on matters such as personnel policies, restrictive covenants, health care reform, contracts, and construction liens.
Peter, a Wisconsin native, grew up in Boscobel, Wisconsin, and attended the University of Wisconsin both as an undergraduate and as a law student. In 1995, he earned a BBA with honors and was inducted into the Phi Kappa Phi and Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Societies. He graduated, cum laude, from law school in 1998 and joined Stroud, Willink & Howard that same year.
- Assisted clients with disputes involving non-competition agreements and alleged discrimination.
- Worked with contractors and property owners to navigate the construction lien process.
- Represented secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy court proceedings.
- Teamed with clients to prepare and conduct seminars on health care reform and other pertinent subjects.
Professional Achievements, Honors, and Awards
- BV® Distinguished™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation (2013-2017)
- Selected as a “Rising Star” Wisconsin Super Lawyers in Employment and Labor (2006-2012)
- Selected as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer in Employment and Labor (2014-2015)
- Named a “Top Lawyer” by Madison Magazine in Labor and Employment, Environmental, and Consumer Law
- Member of In Business magazine’s “Executive Register” (2008)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Wisconsin Civil Procedure Before Trial, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE (Co-Author of Jurisdiction Chapter), June 2011-2014
- Author of “Employment Law Update” e-mail series
- Speaker at various seminars, trade association events, and other forums including WLWCA Convention, Dane County Bar Association Seminar, and PIA Wisconsin Annual Convention (topics have included Health Care Reform, Tax and Legal Implications of Health Care Reform, Collection Strategies, Foreclosures and Related Legal Issues, Independent Contractors, and Non-Compete Agreements)
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1998
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, B.B.A., with honors, 1995
- Wisconsin, 1998
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1998
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2001
Community Involvement and Memberships
- Dane County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Belleville Youth Football, Inc.
- Wildcat Gridiron Club